I’m really willing to give this move the benefit of the doubt, mostly because I thought “Tangled” was really cute and “Frozen” seems to be, at the very least, an ideological sequel. That said, I am also the father of a six-year-old girl and it’s tough to bite back the cynicism when Disney trots out yet another princess to relentlessly and shamefully market to little girls everywhere. So as of right now, I’m coming down on the side joyful family entertainment as opposed to heartless market synergy. But just barely.
You might also like...
- “Getting old is not for sissies.” – Bette Davis M. Night Shyamalan movies always have a great concept. It’s in the execution where things getRead More »
- “Joe Bell” feels like an incomplete work of art. It’s like one of those paintings where the artist has beautifully rendered the top half withRead More »
- It’s almost impossible to make a sports movie that is cliché free. A training montage or a wacky play that hasn’t been used all seasonRead More »
- There is a misconception out there that if a drama is going to have any significant impact, it has to be as gritty and “realistic”Read More »
- It took “Black Widow” a long time to finally make it to the big screen, but it is has been well worth the wait. DelayedRead More »
- The entertainment business is full of vicious, cutthroat monsters who would just as soon stab you in the back as look at you. These clichésRead More »
- A million years ago, in March of 2020, a screening of “A Quiet Place Part II” was next up on my calendar. Then the worldRead More »
‘Onward’ shows Pixar can still cast a spell over audiences that is hard to find in family-friendly entertainmentPixar has been setting the bar for animated family films for the better part of three decades now and what’s most impressive is how, yearRead More »
- There’s always a danger when adapting a Jane Austen novel into film of falling too much in love with the words. These sagas of loveRead More »
- “The Band’s Visit” is a warm and touching little musical that feels a bit small against its lofty accolades. The musical romped through the 2018Read More »