I’m really willing to give this move the benefit of the doubt, mostly because I thought “Tangled” was really cute and “Frozen” seems to be, at the very least, an ideological sequel. That said, I am also the father of a six-year-old girl and it’s tough to bite back the cynicism when Disney trots out yet another princess to relentlessly and shamefully market to little girls everywhere. So as of right now, I’m coming down on the side joyful family entertainment as opposed to heartless market synergy. But just barely.
You might also like...
- Weddings are inherently joyful occasions, which is why Shakespeare ended most of his comedies with at least one. You have to be a real crankRead More »
- When my kids were little, they got a lot of mileage out of the “Buddies” series, which were direct-to-video sequels to the low-wattage family filmRead More »
- In Bram Stoker’s classic horror novel “Dracula,” there is a brief, single chapter that tells the story of the Count’s journey by sea from TransylvaniaRead More »
- Most of the time when a movie is too ambitious and tries to do too much the result is a hot mess. In those instances,Read More »
- Tom Cruise will happily risk his life to entertain us. The “Mission: Impossible” series has seen Cruise do stunts that had him hanging off ofRead More »
- What makes Indiana Jones such a great action hero is the everyman quality brought to him by Harrison Ford. Indy isn’t incredibly strong nor doesRead More »
- “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” introduced us to Miles Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore), a Spider-Man from a parallel dimension who, thanks to some multiverse madness,Read More »
- In 2015, Disney started turning its iconic animated films into live-action features with “Cinderella.” They went all-out by getting Kenneth Branagh to direct with aRead More »
- Weddings are the perfect setting for comedic tension; there’s a reason Shakespeare ended all of his comedies with at least one. Dysfunctional families forced togetherRead More »
- “Jesus Christ Superstar” is out on the road celebrating the 50th anniversary of the iconic rock opera with a lean, mean production that is playingRead More »